HOW TO COOK SALMON
Learn how to cook salmon with these 6 foolproof techniques, plus helpful tips from salmon experts from bristolbaysockeye.org.
If you've got an oven and a baking dish or sheet pan, then you're all set to create this basic baked salmon recipe and master how to roast salmon!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking dish with foil. Coat salmon with cooking oil on both sides and season to your liking.
- Place salmon, skin-side down, in baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Pan seared salmon is a good technique for beginners. We recommend using a seasoned cast iron skillet, but any non-stick pan will do.
- Coat salmon on both sides with cooking oil.
- Add enough cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Place salmon, skin-side up, into pan and cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip salmon and cook for another 3 minutes or until done.
Poaching salmon is similar to steaming, but doesn't require any special tools. Add ingredients to the poaching water such as white wine, lemon, dill and garlic so the salmon gets a flavor boost during cooking.
- Season salmon on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Fill a straight-sided pan one-third of the way with poaching liquid and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Carefully place the salmon in the pan. Cover, reduce heat and gently simmer the salmon for 7-9 minutes.
Learn how to grill salmon- a simple technique that adds great flavor to your fish.
- Preheat grill to very hot.
- Pat the salmon dry and brush with oil on both sides. Season salmon with your favorite flavors, or keep it simple with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon, skin-side down. Cook for 5-6 minutes, and flip. Cook 2-7 more minutes or until done.
Making steamed salmon can help lock in flavors you wouldn't be able to achieve with other methods of cooking.
- Find a pot that your steamer basket fits snugly on top of and fill halfway with water. Bring water to a boil.
- Line steamer basket with parchment paper and place salmon in steamer. Salt and pepper the salmon and add your favorite herbs and spices.
- Cover and place on top of the pot of boiling water. Steam salmon for 7-10 minutes or until done.
Expert Salmon Tips
With every salmon recipe wild salmon from Alaska can’t be beat!
Combine the grilled salmon marinade ingredients in a single gallon-size zip lock bag (no need to dirty up a bowl). Add the salmon, and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to penetrate the fish.